5 Day Rwanda Gorilla Trek and Lake Kivu Safari
This Rwanda Gorilla Trek and Lake Kivu Safari will take you Gorilla and Golden Monkey trekking in the Volcanoes National Park, Chimpanzee trekking in Nyungwe Forest National Park and for a boat safari cruise on Lake Kivu to see crocodiles and hippos as well as birds endemic to this region. Crown the safari witha visit to a Genocide memorial site in Kigali.
- The thrill of trekking Mountain Gorillas in their natural habitat and the humbling experience of coming face to face with them as they feed, play, rest and bond with their young
- Viewing the mesmerizing and awesome features of the volcanic mountains
- Relaxing in the serenity of Lake Kivu on a Boat launch
- Listening to the heartrending account of the astonishing genocide that occurred in Rwanda in the late 1990s.
Day 1: Arrival and transfer to Volcanoes National Park for scenery viewing
Day 2: Gorilla tracking in Volcanoes National Park and transfer to Nyungwe Forest National Park
Day 3: Chimpanzee trekking in Nyungwe Forest
Day 4: Travel to Kibuye and boat launch on Lake Kivu
Day 5: Transfer to Kigali,visit to a memorial siteand departure
Day 1: Arrival in Rwanda and transfer to Volcanoes National Park
You will be met at the Airport by our Rwanda Gorilla Trek and Lake Kivu Safari guide who will transfer you to the Hotel booked for you in Ruhengeri near the Volcanoes National Park. You will have lunch and in the afternoon be taken for a scenic drive in the park for 2 – 3 hours to view the breathtaking, beautiful volcanic mountain landscapes.
Dinner and overnight will be at the Hotel of your booking.
Day 2: Gorilla trekking in Volcanoes National Park and transfer to Nyungwe forest
Have an early breakfast and move to the Park headquarters where you will receive a briefing on the rules of gorilla trekking and be allocated the gorilla group you will be trekking. You will after the briefing be led by the ranger guides into the forest to search for the gorillas in the Volcano Virunga Hills and the verdant Valley.
Once the gorillas are traced, you’l spend a maximum of one hour observing the gorillas in their natural setting. The tracking will be a 2-5 hour exercise after which you will return to your lodge for lunch and later transfer to Nyungwe forest area arriving in the late afternoon.
Have dinner and overnight at the lodge of your booking.
Day 3: Chimpanzee trek in Nyungwe
You will have an early breakfast and report at the Nyungwe Park headquarters for a briefing by the park rangers on the Golden monkey trekking rules. You will after the briefing start the trek in search of the Golden monkeys in the verdant rain forest. During the trek you will have the chance to see other primates such as the Rwenzori colobus, Silver monkey, the Grey cheeked Mangabey, L’hoests monkey and the Owl faced monkey.
You will return to the Rwanda Gorilla Trek and Lake Kivu Safari lodge booked earlier for dinner and overnight.
Day 4: Travel to Kibuye and boat Safari launch on Lake Kivu
You will after breakfast, transfer to Gisenyi for a boat cruise on Lake Kivu to see crocodiles and hippos as well as birds endemic to this region. You will have opportunity to interact with the fishermen as they go about their trade and to participate in the fishing.
Return to your booked Rwanda Gorilla Trek and Lake Kivu Safari lodge for dinner and overnight.
Day 5: Transfer back to Kigali and departure
After breakfast, the Rwanda Gorilla Trek and Lake Kivu Safari guide will drive you to Kigali. Depending on the time of your departure flight you may have a brief Kigali City excursion and visit a Genocide memorial site before transferring to the Airport for your departure flight.
End of Rwanda Gorilla Trek and Lake Kivu Safari
Requirements for this Safari
- A Visa – you can apply for the visa online or very easily get one at the point of entry into the country (airport)
- Chimpanzee and Gorilla trekking permits – You can apply and secure these on line but experience has shown that it is better coordinated when you send money to the tour firm to handle it for you at no extra cost to the standard fee
- Travel & Health insurance – This should be arranged by you in your home country before you travel.
- Physical fitness
The Safari package includes:
- Full board accommodation as per the itinerary
- 4WD safari vehicle
- Bottled drinking water
- Gorilla trekking permit at $1500 per person
- Chimpanzee trekking permit
- Boat safari trip
- Services of an English Speaking Driver/guide.
- Return airport transfers.
The Safari package excludes expenses of a personal nature such as:
- Other drinks apart from bottled water Laundry
- Tips to local guides
- Telephone expenses
- Porter fees while trekking the Gorillas and chimpanzees
- Personal insurance
Request a quote for this safari
[contact-form-7 id=”4766″ title=”Enquiry Widget”]